Tuesday 2 October 2012

The Priest, by Monica La Porta: 4 stars


Mauricio is a man, and therefore a slave. Rosie is the President’s daughter in a society where women do not befriend men. The Priest by Monica La Porta is the story of what happens when two people break social taboos and fight against the laws and norms that keep them apart.

What I loved: Original and beautifully written. Vivid descriptions but not heavy handed. Great world building. I felt completely immersed in the believable and highly unorthodox society of Rosie and Mauricio. Some of the scenes are incredibly poignant and heart rendering. One of my favourites was when Mauricio is put in a room with a window, and sees sunlight for the first time in his life. 

What I didn’t like: This isn’t a major issue, but the last few chapters felt like they should have been another book in the series, more detailed and developed. There was just so much there – characters, new situations etc – that I wanted to know more about. Or at least there could have been another chapter linking the story to the end chapters.

Overall – this is going on my ‘highly recommended’ list!

No comments:

Post a Comment