Thursday 20 September 2012

Halfway to the grave, by Jeaniene Frost: 5 stars


I’d seen the names Cat and Bones in different ‘favourite couples’ polls floating around Goodreads, but I had no idea who could possibly get away with naming characters with those names. Aparantly Jeaniene Frost can. By the time I’d finished Halfway to the Garve, the first in a series, I was frantically rushing to my computer to by the next book, thanking the technology gods for Kindle and wireless.

Imagine Sookie Stackhouse meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That gives you some idea. Cat is half vamp, half human and full on vampire killer. Bones is her next target. Suffice it to say that things don’t go according to plan.

While there are elements of the story that remind me of other vampire stories, the overall result is wonderfully original. Excellent writing style, great story flow, just the right amounts of romance, adventure and drama, fascinating characters who are ultimately likeable (maybe even lovable, but not in a fluffy kitten kind of way). Yup, I’ll probably cave in and get the third one as well! 

Important Note: this is definitely not young adult lit. Just letting you know…

No comments:

Post a Comment